A Vogel Family History

Pictures and stories of my family genealogy research. My family has a German branch who came to the United States from the Banat area of the Austria-Hungary kingdom and a branch of French Canadians who immigrated to Massachussetts from Quebec. Please feel free to post your comments, questions or corrections.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brimfield, Ohio, United States

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Pilotte Family Research

Rootsweb.com has a section with family trees uploaded by both amateur and professional genealogists. The web site clearly states that there is no guarantee of the accuracy of the information. I have downloaded and printed a number of these family trees which are known as GEDCOM’s, but I have resisted using the unsupported information in building my own family tree in the Personal Ancestral File I am using as my database. However, these GEDCOM files have been extremely valuable to me in guiding my own research.

This past month I have been working on researching the Pilotte family. I located two GEDCOM’s which mentioned Maurice Pilotte, my great-grandfather. I started out this project with the report from the professional genealogist that listed his parents as Charles Pilot and Adele Boivin. The GEDCOM from a Paul Lareau confirmed the data I already had and traced Charles parents as Nicolas Pilote and Marie Victoire Gobeil, who were married at Malbaie, Charlevoix, Quebec on 7 April 1818.

This month I ordered a microfilm of the Loiselle Marriage Index at the Family History Center in the Church of Latter-day Saints at Tallmadge. This is a microfilm of a series of 3 by 5 cards which record marriages in Quebec. They were compiled from church records and list the names of the bride and groom, their parents’ names and the date and location of the wedding. This information can be used to order the church records, like the ones Mom and I searched from St Bibiane-de-Richmond, where Maurice and Claudia Dionne were married in 1886. We looked back far enough to determine that neither Maurice nor Claudia were baptized in Richmond, which is located between Montreal and the City of Quebec, about halfway between the St Laurence River and the northern border of Vermont.

Maurice’s father, Charles, was born in Malbaie in 1842. In 1862 he married Maurice’s mother in Bagotville , QC, which is some distance due north of Malbaie. Charles and Adele Boivin wound up in Richmond, which was 260 miles away from Bagotville by the time that Maurice and Claudia Dionne were married there in 1886. Prior to the 1840’s it appears that the Pilotte family lived on the north shore of the St Laurence across from Riviere du Loup, where the Emond family was located.

Much of this information comes from research done by others, but it gives me a place to look and make my own confirmation of the details. I am waiting on new microfilm of the St Alphonse Church in Bagotville, where I hope to find the record of Charles and Adele’s wedding and baptism records for Maurice and his brothers and sisters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home