A Vogel Family History

Pictures and stories of my family genealogy research. My family has a German branch who came to the United States from the Banat area of the Austria-Hungary kingdom and a branch of French Canadians who immigrated to Massachussetts from Quebec. Please feel free to post your comments, questions or corrections.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brimfield, Ohio, United States

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Chicken Paprikas

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons Olive Oil
2 medium Onions, sliced julienne
1 clove Garlic, minced
1 tablespoon paprika
½ teaspoon cumin
1 small fryer chicken, deskinned and cut up
½ teaspoon salt
1 can chicken broth
2 carrots, sliced
2 tablespoons tomato paste

Directions:

Heat the oil in a heavy bottom dutch oven and sauté the onions and garlic until golden brown. Stir in the paprika and cumin, cook one minute. Arrange the chicken pieces on top and sprinkle with salt. Pour in the broth and add carrots. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 25 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and simmer covered another 25 minutes until chicken is tender.
Serve over country noodles or other pasta.

Comments:

This comes from “Round the World Cooking Library: Central European Cooking”, by Eva Bakos and Albert Kofranek, 1974. This book features original recipes from Switzerland, Austria, Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Rumania. I think of my Donauschwaben grandparents from the Banat when I read this book. I am sure that this Hungarian dish is something that they would have cooked. My mother said her mother-in-law would have made this with dumplings, something I have not yet tried to do.

I used a whole small, fryer chicken for this dish. I cut the fryer into small serving pieces and discarded the back, skin and all the fat I could peel off. This is the most economical ways to buy chicken. A bird that cost me $3.40 the other day provided four generous portions.

3 Comments:

Blogger Robert Vogel said...

Hello I am the lost Illegitimate family member that doesn't get mentioned in this history of the family. My name is Robert Vogel adopted as Cotton. My dad Robert Vogel was married when he met my mom" Rita Cotton: maiden name Pelletier, who was married and they had me july 27th 1955 My birth certificate reads Robert Vogel Cotton I was born in Lowell ma. This artical is amazing and very interesting. I knew very little about the family history you can reach me at ollierie@verizon.net if you wish

11/07/2009 9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello again I just gave all this information to my mom and she informed me that This Vogel family isn't the one that i'm from. The Robert Vogel that was my dad was from allentown pa and that his parents were german and dutch also from pa. What are the odds that there are two Robert Vogels the same age that also have connections to Lowell ma, Small crazy world, PEACE to all
Robert Vogel / Cotton

11/08/2009 8:00 AM  
Blogger Cliff Vogel said...

Robert,
Thanks for your comment. The Vogel side of my family did not trace back to Lowell, MA. My mother's side of the family did. She was a Pilot and her mother was an Emond.
Oddly enough, there are some Pelletiers....
Cliff

11/11/2009 2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home